YMYL stands for “Your Money or Your Life” pages and are comprised of pages that are important enough that, were they low-quality, they could have a potential negative impact on a person’s life, income, or happiness. As a general rule, the pages that Google requires to be written by experts are known as YMYL pages. Google thinks of the following categories as examples of YMYL pages:
- Shopping or financial transaction pages
- Pages that offer financial information, for example, loans, investment advice or tax information
- Pages that offer medical information about specific diseases or conditions or mental health
- Pages that offer legal information about topics like child support, divorce, creating a will, becoming a citizen, etc.
- Any page that has the potential to be dangerous or detrimental if it possessed low levels of E-A-T (car repair and maintenance, for example)
There are a number of automated and manual checks Google carries out on websites that fall into this category. In order to reduce the friction related to these checks Google’s guidelines state that the Organisation or Individual operating the website make it clear who they are, how they are qualified in the given vertical and how website visitors might contact the site owner.