Do you know how important choosing the right keywords is for SEO (search engine optimisation)? Choosing the right keywords and key phrases is vital to the success of your online campaign and essentially, your sales. Not only does it attract the right audience, but it also helps search engines to do their jobs. A search engine’s main objective is to provide browsers with highly-relevant content that adds value to their online experience.
To choose the right keywords you will need to:
- Identify your target audience,
- Investigate your customer’s needs & behaviour,
- Study the competition’s strategy,
- Understand different keyword types,
- Make use of effective keyword research tools,
- Use SEO results and insights to fine-tune your campaign.
How to Identify Your Target Audience
To find good keywords, you first need to identify your target audience. If you don’t determine who your target audience is, you will never truly figure out how to find low competition keywords and you won’t know how to create content that is interesting and valuable to the right people. If you get this right, you will enjoy more online exposure and increased sales. To identify your target audience, you must:
- Analyse your current client base,
- Spend time scrutinising your competition’s customer base,
- Use insights to define customer demographics.
Choosing the right keywords is easier if you know the age group, interests, location, and income of your consumers.
Investigate Your Customer’s Needs & Behaviour to Give Your Keywords Meaning
You might think that keyword research is just about making a general list of words that relate directly to your industry (and products) and then stuffing these keywords into content. It doesn’t quite work like that. Search engines have become much smarter in recent times. Businesses (or their marketing teams) need to do keywords research, so that relevant content can be created in such a way that the consumer finds value in it.
When you understand what your customers are looking for and you understand how they behave online, you can create content (with keywords and key phrases) that truly provides value to your customers. A great way to put this into action is to put yourself in the shoes of your potential customers. Make a list of keywords and key phrases that you would search if you were looking for your specific range of products and services online.
Studying the Competition: A Highly-Effective Keyword Research Strategy
Let’s face it; you won’t just know how to choose the right keywords for SEO without a little training and research. Keyword research is absolutely essential for a targeted campaign that yields real results. If your keywords aren’t driving paying customers to your business, then they’re not working and you’re wasting your time. In order to choose keywords that your specific target audience is searching, you need to know what keyword strategy your competition is using – and you need to improve on that. You can also use the data you collect to find ways to cater to parts of the market that your competitors are overlooking.
All you need to do is:
- Compile a list of your biggest competitors,
- Visit their website and read through their content,
- Take a look at their meta tags,
- Make a list of keywords they are targeting that you are missing out on,
- Draw inspiration from their keywords to brainstorm new keywords and phrases.
Types of Keywords
Google provides developer tips on Steps to a Google-Friendly Site and mentions that marketers should avoid using keywords incorrectly, if they want their site to rank well. There are 9 types of keywords that are beneficial to SEO:
- Short tail keywords – made up of 3 words or less and are also referred to as “head keywords”.
- Long tail keywords – specific key phrases with lower search volume, made up of more than 3 words.
- Short-term fresh keywords – include current “hype” words. Think famous names and movie titles.
- Evergreen keywords –used in informative and educational content pieces and are considered timeless as they will be searched for many years.
- Geo-targeting keywords – words that target specific towns, cities, neighbourhoods or countries.
- Product defining keywords – specific keywords that describe and explain your product.
- LSI keywords – closely related to your main keyword.
- Customer defining keywords – include words that define who the content is for. For example: “Keyword research tips for SEO strategists in London”.
Effective Keyword Research Tools
Google offers a great keywords tool that can help you with effective keyword research for both Google Ads and your content. Keyword research tools help marketers determine the following:
- Keyword search volumes,
- Keyword search trends,
- Keyword competition,
- Similar keywords and key phrases.
Use Data and Insights to Boost Results
Why are keywords important? They can be used to target your audience so effectively that you never waste time and money engaging with the wrong people. In some instances, it’s about trial and error. You cannot expect to simply get it right first time around, but if you get started, you can use the results of your first keyword campaign to boost your next efforts.
It’s important to monitor and analyse results that each keyword produces. Some great questions to ask while analysing your data and insights are:
- Do people search for the keywords you have in place?
- Are people clicking through to content?
- Are your keywords driving traffic that ultimately results in a sale?
If a keyword is not performing well, it’s time to get rid of it and find something more effective in its place. Don’t let poorly performing keywords take up your time and linger in your content. If a keyword is receiving attention and driving click-through’s to your website, but not resulting in a sale, it could be that your keyword is poorly targeted or that the information and products provided are relevant to the keyword you are punting on a particular page.
You can use keywords in all of your content. Choosing the right keywords for your website, blog, online catalogue, and social media platforms may require the time and attention of a professional SEO services agency. By following the above tips, you can start boosting your keyword SEO results immediately.