Video marketing can captivate an audience in a matter of seconds. In fact, it has become quite a trend. However, you should not simply incorporate video as part of your digital marketing strategy just because everyone else is doing it. You should use video content marketing because it is highly effective. What makes video so great is not only that it is easy to consume. It is also appealing, versatile, and shareable.
So why is it so effective?
As consumers (and humans), we encounter video content marketing on a daily basis. We have become accustomed to seeing and relying on video content. Think of movie trailers, television commercials, funny videos shared across various social media platforms. Over the years we have become conditioned to the ease of watching a video. For some it is the lazy way out, but for all, it is an entertaining method of getting valuable information in a very short space of time. As such, the versatility of video marketing should not be underestimated. Read on to gain deeper insight into why video marketing is such a successful digital marketing format.
Top 5 Reasons:
- Increased engagement and boosts conversions & sales
- Videos are convenient for mobile users
- Video marketing is engaging to all consumers
- Video marketing builds trust through helpful content
- • Google likes high-quality video content for search results
1. Increased engagement boosts conversions & sales
Engaging with your target audience should be a number one priority for you. Imagine how much more engaging your content will be if you present a 2-minute “how to” video instead of posting paragraphs and lists of instructions on how to use one of your products. Chances are, more people will watch the video than will read the written content. Customers like to get to the “meat” of your content quickly and a video makes that possible in a very short space of time. Creating video content for social media is a great way to engage with customers and get them sharing your content. Make your video content witty and entertaining while also informative, and its shareability will quickly soar. Watch how your conversions and sales increase as a result.
2. Videos are convenient for mobile users
Tiger Mobile in the UK posted some interesting statistics in December 2018. The statistics stated that at the time, the UK population was at around 66 million people and in surveys carried out by Statista, they mentioned that the results indicated that 94% of the population makes use of a mobile phone. When you consider these stats, it becomes obvious why so many professional digital marketing firms push businesses to create websites that are mobile-friendly. It also makes sense why so many businesses are jumping on the video content marketing bandwagon. Smartphone screens are small and people on the move rarely have time to read through manuals and scroll for hours through very lengthy pages of content. A quick video that provides succinct information that is presented in an easy-to-remember way, is ideal for the mobile user – and thus video marketing is here to stay!
3. Video marketing is engaging to all consumers
While all consumers are a little different, there are those who like to read and expand their knowledge, and there are those who like to get the information that they need without having to put in too much effort. The great news about video marketing is that it appeals to the lazy consumer as well as the enthusiastic researcher. Video content is extremely easy to consume and to remember too so while it is a highly effective learning tool, it requires very little effort from the person doing the learning. When creating video content for a website, remember that most consumers want to see products working before they buy them. Creating video content, that demonstrates how the product works and provides helpful information, will draw customers looking for decision-making information required just before a purchase.
4. Video marketing builds trust through helpful content
If all of your marketing efforts are “hard sell”, you are going to lose the interest of your target audience. Imagine that every time your phone rang it was a friend pushing you to make a purchase from them. You would probably quickly lose interest too. The trick is to take a step back from selling, selling, selling, and focus more on just being a friend. Spend some time on creating content that appeals to consumers, answers questions that they might have, and provides thorough how-to information so that they fully understand the product before (or after) buying the product. This way the consumer will come to you, rather than the other way around. There is a great amount of power in building trust in this way as consumers will come to find that they rely on your information and knowledge and therefore naturally come to trust you more as an expert in your field. And as a result, your products will become trustworthy too.
5. Google likes high-quality video content for search results
Google no longer features websites in search results just because they have the right keywords in place. Google has changed its stance and is now looking for websites that have valuable content and also provide a good user experience. What makes a good video by Google’s standards is useful content. This means that you really need to have something of value to offer the consumer. Videos take time, effort and dedication to create. As such, Google sees video content as something that adds to the customer experience. If your website or blog has embedded videos that are informative and of value to the consumer, your pages are more likely to be featured in search engine results. Do YouTube videos help SEO? Yes, they do. Keep in mind that Google owns YouTube, which means that YouTube content marketing videos are seen as favourable content by Google. You can boost your video marketing performance with the following YouTube video SEO tips:
- Do keyword research to ensure your video content incorporates these.
- Ensure that your video is accompanied by well-written, targeted content.
- Use time stamps in your video description to ensure that viewers can go to the exact part of the video that they need.
- Use targeted keywords in your title and don’t over-do keywords in your content. Keyword stuffing is frowned on.
- Include video transcripts to help search engines understand what your video is about in order to rank it better.
You cannot simply upload a video and hope that it suddenly features in search results on Google. While there are three main types of content videos that you can use for marketing:
- Awareness videos – usually very entertaining videos that appeal to a broad audience.
- Engagement videos – video content that evokes some sort of reaction from the viewer. This could be to achieve likes, shares, comments or even to get some sort of emotional reaction.
- Education videos – this content teaches the viewer something while creating further interest. This is seen in typical “how to” videos.
Below are a few pointers on how to optimise your video marketing content:
- Create video content first and foremost with the consumer in mind and not the search engine in mind. Videos should be created to appeal to your human audience, not to algorithms.
- Teach your audience something. Leave them with that “ah huh” moment after watching your video.
- Do your keyword research and stick closely to a handful of keywords per video instead of trying to keyword stuff.
- Make sure that your video is nicely filmed and edited. You don’t need professional videography equipment. You can even use a smartphone and decent free editing software.
- Once the video is uploaded, ensure that you monitor engagement and respond promptly to comments, likes, shares and so on. Encourage your existing client base to share your content.
Interesting Facts & Stats About Video Marketing:
- Over 1 billion people make use of YouTube.
- Nearly 50% of Facebook users spend up to an hour a day watching a variety of videos.
- Online users who encounter an interesting or clever video will share it with someone else.
While video content marketing is making its mark on the digital marketing world, more and more businesses are jumping at the opportunity to make it work for them. If you haven’t taken the plunge and tried out video marketing yet, chat to a professional digital marketing company about how to create video content that speaks directly to your target audience and drives highly profitable results.